Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Exponentially Expanding List of WIP

I've lost count of how many new knitting projects I've started since the beginning of the year. But I can quickly tell you how many I've finished: zero! Here are my pathetic excuses:

First up was Arbor, which after 20 or so rounds (at 270+ stiches each) I was able to try on and it's way too big. So, that needs to be frogged and re-started at a smaller size.

I think the next was a swatch for the Minimalist Cardigan. I've decided I need smaller needles, and I think I'd prefer using metal needles, so I'm waiting on an order from Knit Picks. But I'm still not sure I have the right yarn for it; I'm trying to use a silk, but I think that a wool/wool blend would be better. I'm also debating if I want try knitting this continental, the advantage of this would be much faster (eventually) with the seed stitch. The disadvantage is that I'm still very slow in continental, and I think my gauge may change as I get better.

After setting aside the Minimalist, I decided to try swatching for the Dollar and a Half Cardigan. I'm having some issues reading/understanding the pattern, and I was getting frustrated with all these false starts.

So, I decided to start a third cardigan attempt. Third time's a charm, right? This time I went with something simple, the Garter Yoke Cardigan from the most recent Knit 1 (I would link to their website, but it is really bad, and there's no way to link to that pattern, or even any thing more than a photo of the pattern, not even the name). I think this might be the first time I've ever started a pattern from the current issue of a magazine, I might even finish this while it is still on the newsstands. I'm using a gorgeous color of Lana D'Oro that has been in my stash for years; I'd tried to use it for a Sunrise Circle Jacket, but I think this is a much better use for it.
Garter Yoke Cardigan Progress
So far, I'm progressing very well, and I'm almost to the point where I need to increase at the end of the waist shaping (this isn't a current picture). I've made a few modifications (one on purpose, one by slightly mis-reading the pattern a little). It has been just the kind of, power-through it knitting I've needed. I'm really looking forward to the sleeves, however, because I my wrists and all the purling aren't getting along great.

But, despite the progress I'm making, I've set it aside for yet another project because there is a deadline to this one. I'm not going to reveal details yet, just a WIP photo, but hopefully this will be done in time to gift it to the husband for valentines day. This will be the first thing I've ever knit him, and it will also involve a technique I've never used before.

Companion Cube Progress

While I'm not knitting it in front of him, it has been sitting on our couch for the last week, he hasn't once asked about it. But I'm chugging along, and about 2/3 of the way done with the knitting. Considering it took me 3 days to get this far, I think I can have it done by v-day; it may still be a little wet, but hopefully it will be done!

PS- I decided to check my projects page on Ravelry, just to make sure I hadn't forgotten any other projects I might have started this year. Yep, there was one. One that might get it's own post someday if it ever grows up into a full-fledged, wearable item.

No comments: